PS: View this post in your browser to read the complete post and comment as well. Hey everyone. I was supposed to write this post on 19 things I’ve learned since February which was when I turned 19 but; I procrastinated it over and over again. Although, it’s never too late to write it because I’m 19 and I’m still learning a lot of things; especially with my new self improvements. I’ve also written posts like 16 THINGS I’VE LEARNED FROM 2016 and 17 THINGS I HOPE TO ACHIEVE IN 2017. So now, let’s begin.
1. Like I said in the last paragraph of MY ROAD TO SELF RECOVERY, we all deal with pain in our own way. But, we can either choose to get over that pain and be happy, or give the pain that power to hurt us more and destroy us from the inside.
2. Pain is inevitable; but it makes us stronger.
3. It doesn’t matter what you’ve been through; or what you’re going through, there’s always a purpose. You can either fight to see how things go or give up and miss out on so many opportunities and happy moments.
4. Love probably doesn’t exist; but love is for everyone. Maybe not now but, someday you’ll question why you thought you were better off alone.
5. Friends are not everything; not everyone you thought you’d grow old with will be by your side. Friends come and go; but we let go so the good ones come into our lives.
6. Everyone lies; no exception! Even the one person you thought would never lie to will do it. You just have to figure out who’s lie is worth taking and who you have to let go off.
7. Forgiveness is the key to moving on. You say you’ll never forgive that one person but forgiveness brings peace and although you may not forget, you’ll feel so much better once you air out that dirty laundry and just forgive whoever hurt you.
8. Suffering in silence will never make the pain go away; neither will pretending that you’re okay. Sometimes you just need to drop that weight, speak up, and let go of those demons. There’s more to life than pain, sadness, and fake happiness.
9. No one will notice what’s going on if you don’t talk. And you’ll never help yourself if you think you can solve your problems on your own. Accepting help doesn’t make you weak because they’re others just like you; or even worse.
10. You can’t love yourself or move on if you don’t let go of the past or what/who’s causing you pain. Memories don’t fade; but the present doesn’t live in the past.
11. You never know when it’ll be your last day on this earth; or who you’ll loose in the blink of an eye. Try to do what makes you happy; and control what you say to others because they too could be gone in a second.
12. Miracles exist. You could wait forever for just one miracle but when it comes, you’ll forget how long you’ve waited. Remember; faith moves mountains.
13. And like my amazing friend; Ciara (Ci) said, “You shouldn’t be so tough on yourself…” maybe we demand way too much from ourselves when we’re meant to take things one step at a time. When you demand too much and you don’t get it right, you end up disappointed because you didn’t do it at your own pace. Sometimes taking a step back and realising that you’re not doing things the right way is good.
14. Never give up; no matter how bad things get. You started for a reason so why not finish it?
15. Never be a slave to your fears or emotions; sometimes it’s just an illusion.
16. Trying to please everyone will only leave you hurt and probably alone. You can do a million things for someone and they won’t remember; they won’t even do one thing for you. Plus, they won’t be in your life forever so why bother?
17. Your happiness shouldn’t revolve around anyone or their actions. Sometimes it’s good to focus on yourself and do what makes you happy. YOU should always come first.
18. It’s okay to not feel good every once in a while; that’s why we’re humans; and we have emotions. Your feelings are never less than someone else’s; and sometimes you just need someone to listen in order to feel better.
19. Never lie to anyone; if the truth will hurt them, so be it. When you lie, you mess with the truth, their trust, and their feelings. Yet you feel good but you have no idea what it does to them; because the truth will always come to light. No one deserves to feel like it was their fault because of your actions.
Today has made it one month of self recovery from depression without total relapse; and I feel good about it. I’ve learned so many things over time; including opening up about things. And as the year goes by, I learn other things; both the good and the bad. Life is all about learning things; either from your actions or someone else’s. What have you learnt so far?